Bleeding during pregnancy is associated with familial preterm birth

Lindsay Kennedy Parrish, Louis J. Muglia, Emily A. DeFranco

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Scopus citations


Purpose: the purpose of this study is to identify risk factors for familial, likely genetically-determined, preterm birth. Materials and methods: We performed a case–control study, enrolling 211 patients (103 cases and 108 controls). Cases delivered between 20 and 35 weeks gestation, with a prior preterm birth or first-degree relative born prematurely. Controls delivered between 37–42 weeks. Groups were compared using a comprehensive questionnaire validated by medical record. Multivariate logistic regression assessed risk factor associations. Results: Of cases, 30% reported bleeding during pregnancy compared with 5% of controls, adjusted odds ratio (adjOR) 9.0, 95%CI 3.31–24.47. Of cases that delivered at 20–28 weeks, 44.8% reported bleeding during pregnancy compared with 24.6% at 29–35 weeks, p =.04. Other associations were prior first-trimester miscarriage adjOR 2.55 (CI 1.21–5.35) or second-trimester miscarriage, adjOR 6.3 (CI 1.76–22.56). Conclusions: Bleeding during pregnancy and prior miscarriage were significantly associated with familial preterm birth. The magnitude of effect for bleeding in pregnancy was higher with earlier preterm births. These associations warrant further investigation.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)73-79
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2 2019

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2017, © 2017 Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group.


  • Bleeding
  • familial
  • genetics
  • prematurity
  • preterm birth

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology


Dive into the research topics of 'Bleeding during pregnancy is associated with familial preterm birth'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this