Cell Type-specific Intrinsic Perithreshold Oscillations in Hippocampal GABAergic Interneurons

Young Jin Kang, Hannah Elisabeth Smashey Lewis, Mason William Young, Gubbi Govindaiah, Lazar John Greenfield, Edgar Garcia-Rill, Sang Hun Lee

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

10 Scopus citations


The hippocampus plays a critical role in learning, memory, and spatial processing through coordinated network activity including theta and gamma oscillations. Recent evidence suggests that hippocampal subregions (e.g., CA1) can generate these oscillations at the network level, at least in part, through GABAergic interneurons. However, it is unclear whether specific GABAergic interneurons generate intrinsic theta and/or gamma oscillations at the single-cell level. Since major types of CA1 interneurons (i.e., parvalbumin-positive basket cells (PVBCs), cannabinoid type 1 receptor-positive basket cells (CB1BCs), Schaffer collateral-associated cells (SCAs), neurogliaform cells and ivy cells) are thought to play key roles in network theta and gamma oscillations in the hippocampus, we tested the hypothesis that these cells generate intrinsic perithreshold oscillations at the single-cell level. We performed whole-cell patch-clamp recordings from GABAergic interneurons in the CA1 region of the mouse hippocampus in the presence of synaptic blockers to identify intrinsic perithreshold membrane potential oscillations. The majority of PVBCs (83%), but not the other interneuron subtypes, produced intrinsic perithreshold gamma oscillations if the membrane potential remained above −45 mV. In contrast, CB1BCs, SCAs, neurogliaform cells, ivy cells, and the remaining PVBCs (17%) produced intrinsic theta, but not gamma, oscillations. These oscillations were prevented by blockers of persistent sodium current. These data demonstrate that the major types of hippocampal interneurons produce distinct frequency bands of intrinsic perithreshold membrane oscillations.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)80-93
Number of pages14
StatePublished - Apr 15 2018

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
This work was supported by the College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences to S-HL, Bogard Neurology Research and Stroke Prevention Fund to S-HL, and Core Facilities of the Center for Translational Neuroscience, Award P30 GM110702 from the IDeA program at NIGMS to EGR. We thank A. Mathews for technical assistance with camera lucida drawings.

Publisher Copyright:
© 2018 IBRO


  • cholecystokinin-positive interneurons
  • fast-spiking interneurons
  • network oscillation
  • perithreshold membrane oscillations
  • resonance

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience (all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Cell Type-specific Intrinsic Perithreshold Oscillations in Hippocampal GABAergic Interneurons'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this