Comparative drug depletion in domestic animals and birds

G. E. Mitchell, D. B. Batson, D. R. Catherman, R. E. Tucker, D. H. Seman, T. Matsui, A. H. Cantor, D. G. Ely, J. Szabo, R. B. Muntifering

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations


Decoquinate (Rhone-Poulenc Inc.) and Narasin (Eli Lilly Co.) were selected as model drugs for a comparison of metabolism between major (cattle and chickens) and minor (sheep and quail) species. Decoquinate has been studied in all four species. Narasin studies are in progress in chickens and quail. More than 96% of injected 14C-decoquinate (DQ) was eliminated from blood of all species within 1 hr. Disappearance of the remaining 1 to 4% from blood was rapid for all species. Half-times for DQ appearance in excreta were all less than one day. Cumulative excretion of DQ in eggs of chickens and quail was about 1% for both species. Disappearance of DQ from tissues was essentially complete in 14 days. More than 80% of injected 14C-narasin was eliminated from blood within 1/2 hr. Disappearance of the remainder was rapid for both chickens and quail.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)20-23
Number of pages4
JournalVeterinary and Human Toxicology
Issue numberSUPPL. 1
StatePublished - 1988

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • General Veterinary
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis


Dive into the research topics of 'Comparative drug depletion in domestic animals and birds'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this