Effects of Feeding Restaurant Grease With or Without Conjugated Linoleic Acid or Phase-Integrated Beef Tallow on Finishing Pig Growth Characteristics and Carcass Fat Quality

M. A. Latour, B. T. Richert, J. S. Radcliffe, A. P. Schinckel, H. M. White

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The objective of this study was to determine the effect of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and tallow on belly firmness in 120 gilt finishing pigs. Pigs were assigned to 1 of 5 treatment combinations and fed 30 d prior to slaughter. Treatments were as follows: control, a 5% restaurant grease for 30 d (RG30); 5% restaurant grease for 0 to 20 d and switched to CLA (0.83%) and restaurant grease (4.17%) combination for 20 to 30 d (RGCLA); 5% restaurant grease for 0to 20 d and switched to a 5% tallow for 20 to 30 d (Tallow10); 5% restaurant grease for 0 to 10 d and switched to a 5% tallow for final 20 d (Tallow20); and 5% tallow for 0 to 30 d (Tallow30). No changes occurred in drip loss, pH, loin eye color, or size, and no differenceoccurred in growth parameters, except for ADG between 20 to 29 d, where pigs allotted to Tallow 20 and Tallow 30 had greater (P < 0.05) ADG when compared with pigs fed RGCLA. In Tallow30, bellyfirmness was greatest, and consequently iodine value (IV) was lowest, when compared with RG30. A lower IV and trendfor greater belly firmness was observed in RGCLA when compared with RG30.These data suggest that supplemented tallow at 5% improves belly firmness andlowers IV when compared with a 5% restaurant grease diet. Adding 0.83% CLAto a restaurant grease diet improvesfirmness and lowers IV, but not to thesame magnitude as tallow alone.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)156-160
Number of pages5
JournalProfessional Animal Scientist
Volume24
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 1 2008

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2008 American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists.

Keywords

  • Belly firmness
  • Conjugated linoleic acid
  • Fatty acid composition
  • Pig

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Food Science
  • Animal Science and Zoology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Effects of Feeding Restaurant Grease With or Without Conjugated Linoleic Acid or Phase-Integrated Beef Tallow on Finishing Pig Growth Characteristics and Carcass Fat Quality'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this