Statistical Analysis of Interfraction Dose Variations of High-Risk Clinical Target Volume and Organs at Risk for Cervical Cancer High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy

Brien Washington, Marcus Randall, Denise Fabian, Dennis Cheek, Chi Wang, Wei Luo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose: High-dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy for cervical cancer treatment includes significant uncertainties. The aim of this study was to quantify the interfraction dosimetric variation (IDV) of the high-risk clinical target volume (HRCTV) from the prescribed dose and the corresponding effect on organ-at-risk (OAR) dose based on a comprehensive statistical analysis. Methods and Materials: Fifty patients with cervical cancer treated with high-dose-rate intracavity brachytherapy from October 2019 to December 2020 were retrospectively analyzed. The OARs of interest were the rectum, bladder, sigmoid, and bowel. The dosimetric parameters evaluated for all patients was the dose absorbed by 90% of the HRCTV (D90) and the dose absorbed by 0.1 (D0.1cc) and 2 cm3 (D2cc) of each respective OAR. The HRCTV variations were from the prescribed dose and the OAR variations were from the corresponding tolerance dose. Distribution fitting of the HRCTV variations was determined to quantify the IDV. Comparative statistics of the HRCTV variations with the OAR variations were conducted to determine correlations. Results: The mean HRCTV variation from the prescribed dose was –2.53% ± 8.74%. The HRCTV variations and OAR variations showed moderate to weak linear correlations despite the variations being relative to each other, with the bladder D2cc having the strongest correlation. There was a 30.0% (±2.62%, 95% confidence interval) probability of underdosing the HRCTV (–5% variation from prescription) and a 23.3% (±2.62%, 95% confidence interval) probability of overdosing the HRCTV (+5% variation from prescription). This tendency to underdose the HRCTV was a consequence of HRCTV IDV not being normally distributed. Conclusions: HRCTV dosimetric variations and OAR variations were complexly correlated with the bladder D2cc having the strongest correlation. HRCTV IDV was best described as a left-skewed distribution that indicates a tendency of underdosing the HRCTV. The clinical significance of such dose variations is expected and will be further investigated.

Original languageEnglish
Article number101019
JournalAdvances in Radiation Oncology
Volume7
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2022

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
Sources of support: This work had no specific funding. Disclosures: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.

Publisher Copyright:
© 2022 The Authors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Statistical Analysis of Interfraction Dose Variations of High-Risk Clinical Target Volume and Organs at Risk for Cervical Cancer High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this