Objectives. This study sought to determine whether the duration of pretreatment with the adenosine diphosphate receptor antagonist ticlopidine prior to intracoronary stenting is associated with the incidence of procedure-related non-Q-wave myocardial infarctions (MIs). Background. Dual antiplatelet therapy with ticlopidine and aspirin is routinely used with stenting, although ticlopidine is commonly not begun until the day of the procedure. Periprocedural MIs are at least partially platelet-dependent events. As the maximal platelet inhibitory effects of this drug take 2 to 3 days to be realized, we hypothesized that longer treatment prior to stenting would be associated with lower rates of procedure-related MIs. Methods. We reviewed outcomes in 175 consecutive patients treated with ticlopidine prior to stenting at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Those patients with an elevation in creatine kinase above our laboratory normal (>210 IU/L) with ≥4% MB fraction on routine evaluation were defined as having a non-Q-wave MI. Results. There were 28 patients (16%) who had a non-Q-wave MI. Longer duration of ticlopidine pretreatment was strongly associated with a lower incidence of procedure-related non-Q-wave MIs (duration of pretreatment < 1 day, 29% had MI; 1 to 2 days, 14%; ≥3 days, 5%; chi-square for trend=9.6; p=0.002). Ticlopidine pretreatment of ≥3 days was associated with a significant reduction in the risk of non-Q-wave MI (unadjusted odds ratio 0.18, 95% confidence interval=0.04 to 0.78, p=0.01) compared with pretreatment of <3 days. Conclusions. Among patients undergoing intracoronary stenting, beginning ticlopidine therapy several days prior to the procedure is associated with a reduced risk of procedural non-Q-wave MIs.
|Number of pages||5|
|Journal||Journal of the American College of Cardiology|
|State||Published - Nov 1 1998|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine